These are such sweet, natural toys for babies or toddlers. They are 100% natural and safe, made simply of wool and a little jingle bell inside which gives a gentle sound when rolled or shaken.
1. Wool roving (you can use just one color, or a bunch of colors)
2. Small plastic or metal jingle ball
2. Dish soap
3. Hot water
4. Optional: ziploc bag
5. Optional: a textured surface such as bubble wrap
2. Continue rolling your wool into a ball, tightly, until it is about twice as large as you would like the finished ball to be. When you start felting, your ball will shrink quite a bit!
3. When you have your ball, it is time to add a little soapy water. Just a sprinkle! I like to fill a small bowl with hot water and a couple drops of dish detergent; for me, that's more convenient than running the faucet the whole time.
4. Pass the wet ball back and forth between your hands gently, until the wool fibers start to stick together and become more firm. Once they do, you can start rolling the ball in your hands more and more until it becomes pretty firm and then...keep rolling it more and more vigorously.
You can even pop your ball in a ziploc bag and start rolling it vigorously against a textured surface.
5. When your ball is nicely felted, rinse with cold water and either set aside to air dry or pop it into the dryer for a quick spin.
6. Finally, you can leave it au natural or needle-felt designs using a felting needle. Here are a few examples. I made these for a craft swap last fall:
I sure hope that tutorial made sense! :) Please let me know if you have any questions!